Day 12-31 Days of Being New--Hands Up



We were fortunate to live in a magical spot in Tacoma.  Especially if you were a toddler boy.  About  a year ago I started always taking the long way home.  I figured we wouldn't live in Tacoma forever and I wouldn't regret spending an extra five minutes in the car.  I never did.  

The long way included trains, ships, water, mountains and "our hill".  The boy's loved to go down "our hill" and every time we went down the hill they would yell out...hands up!!!....wheeee...whooohoo.....hands up Mama....hands up Daddy!!!

It was awesome.

I love the way kids always seem to find happiness in simplicity.  Southern Illinois doesn't have very many hills.  Yes somehow the boys have already managed to find a couple (we are talking TINY here) and each and every time we go down the hill I hear "hands up Mama" coming from the back seat.  

It's comforting.  And familiar.  And a little sad right now.

I knew I would miss my home but I wasn't prepared for the way my heart literally aches at night when I go to bed.  The tears that would come when someone posts a picture and I can just see myself in the place.  The frustration that I can't just drive around the corner to have a playdate with someone I know.  Someone who is familiar.  Who knows my heart.  My weaknesses.  

I reminded though that I don't need that playdate.  That familiarity.  That ease.

God has called me here and He didn't send us alone.  He came before us...before me....paving the way.  

 The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Deut 31:8

And honestly I kind of just want to ignore knowing that and sulk.  I want to cry a little (or maybe a lot).  I want to complain.  I want to give in to feeling like it's never going to be the same.  To thinking that if I could just go "home" everything would be better.  

So tonight I'm praying and thanking Jesus that he is a friend.  That he has gone before me and is beside me.  That I won't be discouraged.  That I would KNOW that in this time of being new that he hasn't forsaken me.  

There is little I love more musically than old hymns.  This one seems fitting tonight.  I hope it encourages you wherever you are in your journey.  

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
Take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy-laden,
Cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge—
Take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He’ll take and shield thee,
Thou wilt find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised
Thou wilt all our burdens bear;
May we ever, Lord, be bringing
All to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright, unclouded,
There will be no need for prayer—
Rapture, praise, and endless worship
Will be our sweet portion there.





Comments

Popular Posts